Saturday, March 22, 2014

Pulled Pork Hawaiian Haystacks

I grew up eating Hawaiian Haystacks for dinner all the time.
You know...
A bed of rice,
chow mein noodles,
almond slivers,
pineapple,
cheese,
coconut,
diced chicken with some sort of gravy sauce that I never wanted to put on mine,
whatever you see fit really.
I've seen plenty of variations online lately
with all sorts of different toppings...

When we lived in California,
we were feeding some LDS missionaries for dinner
& decided to have Hawaiian Haystacks.
One of the elders was from the islands.
He informed us that although the meal was tasty,
the only things Hawaiian about it
were the pineapple, coconut, & the bed of rice.
That has bothered me ever since.

When I was planning Little Princess' Lilo & Stitch party
I instantly thought of Hawaiian Haystacks for dinner.

I started thinking of ways to make it slightly more authentic...
Spam?
Pork?
Fish?
Hawaiian Sweet Potatoes?
Teriyaki?
Poi?

Here's what we decided:
Ignore the blue jello with Swedish fish in the picture.
We didn't eat that on the Haystacks...

Pulled Pork Hawaiian Haystacks
Bed of rice
Crockpot Hawaiian Pulled Pork (recipe below)
Chow Mein noodles
Monterey Jack cheese
Almond slivers
Pineapple tidbits
Shredded coconut
Banana Poi (recipe below)

We tried it both with & without the poi on top.
I liked it both ways.
With the poi it is definitely sweeter,
but you don't need to add that much or it may overpower the other flavors.
A light drizzle should do (:

We served King's Sweet Hawaiian Rolls on the side of the Haystacks.
Hubby tried the pulled pork on those & said it was good too.


I found this recipe for Slow Cooker Hawaiian Pulled Pork over at East 9th Street,
but ended up doing a few things differently...

Crockpot Hawaiian Pulled Pork
3 lbs pork loin, cut into 3-4" pieces (next time I might try 2-3" pieces if using it for Haystacks)
1 cup onion, chopped into small pieces but not quite minced
2/3 cup ketchup
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup tomato paste
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
2 Tbsp paprika
2 Tbsp soy sauce
2 tsp salt
1 can crushed pineapple, drained (I only used 1/2 can since I needed the rest for Pineapple Upside-Down Cake Balls, but next time I'm going to try the whole can)

Cut the pork & place in crockpot. Add the rest of the ingredients & cover. Cook on low for 8-10 hours or until the pork can be easily shredded with two forks. Shred all the meat in the crockpot & turn off heat.



As for the Banana Poi...
I found the recipe at food.com,
but could not find coconut cream anywhere
so I decided to try it with cream of coconut instead.
I just used whatever was left after making the piƱa coladas.
(approx 1/2 can)
my poi was probably a little sweeter than it would be if I had stuck to the original recipe.

Banana Poi
2 cups very ripe bananas, mashed
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 cup coconut cream (I used roughly 1/2 can cream of coconut instead)

Mash bananas until a smooth paste is formed. Add the lemon juice. Gradually add the coconut cream, stirring constantly. Chill & serve.

If you try this version of Hawaiian Haystacks
let me know what you think...
Do you like it better with or without the poi?

Don't forget to check out the Lilo & Stitch luau!
xoxo
post signature

6 comments:

  1. I found you on the chicken chick blog hop..Your crock pot recipe looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious and so easy to prepare! I'm stopping by from Tasty Tuesdays. Thanks for sharing.
    Jenni @Jenni's Ferris Wheel of Food

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your crock pot pulled pork recipe! Yummy! I'm from Hawaii....I'm not she if my family would go for the banana poi, they love taro poi so much....creatures of habit I think. The baby might enjoy it I'll need to try it with her. Thank you for sharing your wonderful recipes with us at Turn it up Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Banana poi is technically more Samoan from what I've read, but I don't think I've ever seen taro out here... I'll have to try taro poi if I ever make it out to Hawaii!

      Delete
  4. Hmmm, I made root beer pulled pork in the slow cooker and everyone went crazy over it. Looks like I'll be trying this one next. Not sure about the poi though. We'll see. ;) [#TastyTuesdays]

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM I love pulled pork, with pineapple... even better! Thanks so much for linking up to Show & Share Wednesday this week!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...